For this episode, Bart and I had a rather spontaneous chat about conspiracy beliefs and science communication during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Worldwide conspiracy myths about SARS-CoV-2 appear to be on the rise, and conspiracy narrators team up with other cranks in demonstrations – ‘hygiene demos’ they call it in Germany. And the far right is taking advantage of them.
At the same time, science communication is at the center of the social discussions surrounding COVID-19. Several virologists have reached a certain celebrity status, which is having a lot of … interesting … effects. At the time we recorded this, the juiciest one, had not happened yet, unfortunately. But still, we had some things to say.
Disclaimer: as mentioned, this conversation was completely unprepared (usually we at least have some articles at hand). Feel free to fact check us, and let us know! And please take everything we say with a grain of salt.
- How are Germany’s coronavirus protests different? (Deutsche Welle)
- Coronavirus, ‘Plandemic’ and the seven traits of conspiratorial thinking
- Streeck, Laschet, StoryMachine: Vom PR-Plan zum Exit-Rush [GER]
- Heinsberg Study Results Published (University of Bonn)
- 8 Cognitive Biases in Science and Society – with Dr. Bart Geurten