Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 32:21 — 16.1MB)
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | RSS | More
We are back from the summer break! So, we resume the “Bart and Dennis” Talk format!
Bart and I briefly talk about Bart’s research, because he just published an article! And it appeared in a journal that is actually quite good, but it is pay-walled and published by Elsevier.
We then talk about the upcoming Open Science mandate that cOAlition S is trying to establish in Europe. cOAlition S includes some of the biggest funding agencies in Europe, like the Wellcome Trust and the European Research Council. Yet, a lot of scientists seem to still be blissfully unaware.
Do you have questions, comments or suggestion? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, write us on facebook or twitter, or leave us a video message on Skype for dennis.eckmeier.
Just as a lot of German researchers don’t seem to care a lot about their universities cancelling subscriptions to Elsevier. The publishing company had a survey done on affected German researchers and… well … I don’t think the outcome really reflects the message Elsevier would have liked. And in the end we have a brief news item that may be a reason to have some hopes for a carbon-neutral future.
links and sources:
- Press release of Bart’s latest paper
- cOAlition S – Plan S
- Twitter Thread that made us aware of Elsevier Survey
- Elsevier Survery Report [PDF]
- The Journal Impact Factor: how (not) to evaluate researchers – with Björn Brembs
- Altmetrics: A Better Way to Evaluate Research(ers)? – with Steffen Lemke
- The Liberation of Science – with Jon Tennant
- Carbon-neutral Fuels from Air and Green Power
- Dennis’ YouTube Channel